Many of us would rather use motorized transport that uses petroleum or electricity because we feel that it is much more convenient and requires us to use very little energy as compared to walking or cycling. The truth is that it is very healthy to walk and cycle often, but not only I it healthy for the body, but also for the environment. That is why in this article, we would like to discuss the environmental benefits if walking and cycling.
According to a Canadian vehicle survey by iCANwalk, 4 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions are produces by the average car, meaning that vehicles actually contribute to approximately 30% of the greenhouse emissions in the country. This means that if Canadians went for one week without using their vehicles, it would be like removing 800,000 vehicles off the road.
There is also the issue of smog, of which vehicles are a huge contributor. Smog is blend of air pollutants that include vapors, gases and particles. When people breathe in polluted air, it could have serious health repercussions such as cancer or asthma.
Air pollution isn’t something that you’ll worry about when you’re involved in active transport. It is also a great way to create more space on the congested roads, bringing a more pleasant experience.
If there isn’t an option to use active transport, you might want to use public transport. You’ll realize that one but that is fully loaded can be the equivalent of at least 50 cars off the road.
In the event that you have to use a car if you’re in Ontario, you can take part in the Drive Clean Program, where all the participating vehicles are taken through an emissions inspection and maintenance program. If you’re after protecting the environment, saving money and prolonging the life of your vehicle, you might want to try out the following tips:
- Carpool – When using a car pool, the fuel and parking costs are split between the members.
- Tune-up regularly – Save fuel and other costs by ensuring that the vehicle is in excellent working order, including properly inflated tires.
- Turn off your engine when you are not driving – Save fuel and reduce pollution by turning off the engine of the car when not driving.
- Be fuel efficient – Proper acceleration, using cleaner fuels and going for vehicles with lower emissions can make your vehicle more fuel efficient.
Trail Cameras That Send Pictures to Your Phone
Being that we are talking about environmental benefits of walking, we might as well mention trail cameras that are usually used by hunters to check the movement of animals. This is a good thing and can be fun for those that like hunting on foot. The cameras can be set along trails and when there is movement, they can send the images or videos directly to the owner’s phone. This way, the hunter can know the animals in a certain area without having to be there in person. The cameras being reviewed below are some of the best trail cameras that you can find on the market.
Spartan HD Gocam
The Spartan HD GoCam comes in as one of the most powerful wireless trail cameras, coming with an 8mp shooter with 1280 x 960 resolution. The well designed, compact camera also has features such as scheduled events and two-way communication between the user and the camera. Despite the fact that I record HD videos in 720p, vie the wireless network it can only upload photos. This easy to set up camera is camouflage and also light with a sturdy case.
- Lowest monthly cost on the market: The Spartan GoCam™ (Connected by Verizon) can be added to the existing Verizon data plan for $5.00/month as Connected Device1. No long term commitment required. Activate, deactivate, or reactivate the plan at any time. The plan starts from $25.00/month without existing Verizon data plan.
- Ready to use out of the box: No SIM card required. Simply activate the service from HCO, use the camera menus to set your desired picture parameters, and your camera is ready to use.
- All-in-one design, easy installation: The camera is powered by 12 AA batteries (alkaline, Ni-MH, or lithium), and is a standalone installation with no wires and no required external power source.
- Security: Pictures can be transmitted with or without AES 256 encryption. For added security, use encryption to transfer your images. GoWireless: The GoCam™ is compatible with HCO GoWireless web and mobile portal, an ultimate camera and photo management solution.
- Go Green with quality packaging: It is wrapped in 6 pieces of edgeless 16”x16” microfiber towel and a 11”x31” large towel. The towels can be used for cleaning.
- Very cheap access to the wireless 3G network — with no contracts involved
- Read to use out of the box, no SIM car required
- Pictures can be transmitted securely with AES encryption
- You can manage your camera via an online interface
- A very high-quality lens and great quality videos
- Can be plugged into external battery or a solar panel
- Does not send videos in wireless mode
- The wireless antenna is quite large
This affordable, camouflage camera comes with high resolution 720p camera sensor. It has a weatherproof exterior that consists of hard plastic. A 14-megapixel camera can record 720 HD images or video with sound, and the black IR flash technology ensures that animals don’t get startled. Some of the other features are: an 85 foot PIR detection zone, built-in laser pointer, 1.5” LCD color display, and a picture + video mode. The camera uses any 3G network via a sim card, and the images can be sent via MMS, email or GPRS to any mobile device or email account.
- Sends pictures and change settings wirelessly via MMS/GPRS – Compatible with WCDMA provider that uses SIM cards
- 14MP Pixel – up to 85′ Black IR (invisible) Illumination/Detection range – Up to 32GB SD/SDHC card
- Pic+Video Mode, Trigger speed 1.2sec – Interval 1 second to 60 minutes, 60 degree FOV
- Water proof and weather endurable, Solar Charger Support (option). Fast 22 seconds picture transmission time.
- Enhanced Antenna, 720P HD Video with sound, Built-in Color LCD viewer, with wireless controller
- Great value-for-money
- 14-Megapixel camera that is great quality
- Well-built case
- Black IR technology
- Requires a 3G SIM card, which may require a contract with a provider
Spypoint Link 3G 11MP HD Trail Camera, Camo
Spypoint is known to sell innovative trail cameras with great features, and the Link camera is no exception. It comes with an 11-megapixel shooter with 720p for HD videos and photos. 62 super low glow LEDs are used to light up subjects up to 100 feet. It comes with a pre-activated SIM card, using the AT&T or T-Mobile 3G networks. It also comes with a 2.4” LCD screen, black and white or color images, multi-shot mode, timestamps with advanced details, and hybrid shooting mode (photo + video).
- Made of highest quality material
- Manufacturer: Spypoint
- Spypoint link 3G trail camera-11mp HD-camo
- Great value-for-money for high quality
- Produces quality images
- Chooses between multiple networks to achieve the highest speed
- Requires a 3G SIM card, which may require a contract with a provider
Covert Special OPS Code Black
Despite the fact that it was one of the first wireless cameras available on the market, it is still one of the best, being durable and packed with great features. Images can be sent through an AT&T SIM card via SMS or to an email. The invisible flash LEDs can illuminate up to 60 feet away. The camera comes with an 8-megaixel shooter, 2” color viewer, time lapse mode, and three adjustable sensitivity levels.
- Covert Sporting Camera voted “2012 Best Buy” from INSIDE ARCHERY
- 60 Invisible Flash LED’s
- Trigger speed 1.2 seconds
- Simple to set up
- Does not record video
- Only send images wirelessly at 800x600p resolution
Bushnell 8MP Trophy Cam HD Wireless Black LED Trail Camera with Night Vision
This is one of the best trail cameras by Bushnell, coming with an 8mp shooter that records HD videos with sound for up to 60 seconds. Images and videos can be uploaded vis the Bushnell wireless network through one of their affordable plans. It is easy to setup, and settings can be changed via smartphone or PC. Images are uploaded automatically to wirelesstrophy.com and viewed at the owner’s convenience. They can also be sent via email or phone. The 12 AA batteries can go for up to 3 months. Other features include a programmable trigger interval, low-light LEDs, geotagging of images and videos, Hyper Passive Infrared Sensor (PIR), 2.4″ Color LCD, and 2X field scan. It works in temperatures between -5° F to 140° F and comes with a 32 GB SD card.
- Quality optics with stunning HD clarity. GPS on these units isn’t automatic, and the users must program GPS coordinates into the unit from setting the menu on the website.
- 100% quality materials used and tested extensively
- Beautiful design and durability built to last
- Wireless connectivity straight out of the box – sim card and data included; Unlimited thumbnails for the first 30 days
- Manage your camera setting via your computer or smart phone; Affordable pre-paid data plans available from Bushnell
- Runs up to 3 months on one set of batteries; Programmable trigger interval
- 8MP high-quality full color resolution; HD video
- Simple to set up and connect via Bushnell’s wireless network
- High quality sensors and lens with HD resolution
- Does not have an internal GPS, so you need to program in the camera’s location manually
The next time that you decide to go on a walking hunting expedition, you might want to get yourself one of the cameras mentioned above. They will give you an idea of where the game is and save you time.